1. Who will have control over the use of the cord blood stem cells being stored?
Custodians, parents or the child at the age of maturity have full control and rights over the use of the stored stem cells. CRYOLIFE only provides the storage facility contracted to the clients for storing their specimen of cryopreserved stem cellsgenically frozen.
- The child himself or herself
- Family members, usually brothers and sisters, who have similar HLA-typing as the baby
- Unrelated individuals, children or adult; who are HLA-compatible with the baby
3. Do I have to donate my child's cord blood unit if I sign up for the CRYOmatch programme?
No. By accepting the CRYOmatch programme, you are only giving consent to have your sample's HLA typing information to be published on a cord blood registry for public cord blood donor search. When a match is identified, donation is entirely at your discretion. If you do donate your specimen, we will refund you the full costs you have paid us in return for your support to the public in need.